Saturday, March 12, 2011

8 Comments on Chile


Well, I keep getting pressured to post more frequently coughEmilyandDadcough. I’ve been waiting to write about all of the amazing food I have had here, because I want some pictures to go with that. So, for now, my random thoughts (in no particular order) as a way to procrastinate from reading 80 pages on the economy of Latin America from 1950-1990 (in Spanish).

1. Gringa status comes in handy sometimes. Last night I did not have enough money on my tarjeta BIP to take the bus home. For the first time, I was called out on it. But instead of getting off of the bus, I said, “Disculpe, no entiendo. Más lento, por favor?” (sorry, I don’t understand. Slower please?). The driver laughed at me and waved me on. He even told me to have a goodnight when got off the bus at my stop.

2. My host mom is a saint. She does my laundry, cleans my bathroom, cooks for me at least once a day, and is the sweetest, most patient woman. She ironed my jeans (so unnecessary) and made me plum kuchen (pie) yesterday. She also makes the most wonderful jam I use on my peanut butter sandwiches every day. Yes, she bought me the peanut butter.

3. Naps are acceptable on any day of the week, for whatever reason. I take full advantage of this.

4. There are some wonderful Happy Hour deals in bars across Santiago.

5. They should fix the street dogs. They won’t because of the culture of Catholicism. It’s hard for me to understand.

6. Don’t be surprised if you’re waiting at a stop light and someone puts on a performance for you—gymnastics, juggling, and dancing are common.

7. My first week of classes is done and I was pleasantly surprised by my ability to understand the professors.

8. Life continues. I live in Chile. It’s amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment