Friday, April 15, 2011

Inglés Abre Puertas


Anyone who used to read this blog has probably given up on me. You may be thinking that life is boring here and I have nothing to write about, but on the contrary I am having the time of my life and that’s what makes it so hard to keep up!

For now, I’ll write about my new internship! Inglés Abre Puertas (English Opens Doors) is a program run by the Ministry of Education in the Chilean government that puts native English-speaking volunteers in to public schools to help teachers and students in English classes.

I work at an all-girls colegio in Providencia (conveniently right between home and school!). It’s like a high school, but it starts with 7th grade—so the girls I work with range from 12 to 18 years old.

I’ve only had one day, but the new job is already fantastic! The teachers and students are so happy to have me and are very welcoming. Arriving at noon, I first spent some time with the 7th graders helping them learn new words and bonding over our mutual love for Justin Bieber (don’t judge me). Then I had lunch with the teachers—a great opportunity to practice my Spanish. There are also two student teachers that studied last year in North Carolina at UNC-Greensboro, so we talked about Cookout and Southern hospitality. After lunch, I got some time with the 9th graders (here it is called Primero Medio). They laughed at my Spanish but ultimately complimented me and said I was doing a good job. I also told them that in the US most public high school students are not required to wear uniforms (here all of the students wear uniforms). I was impressed by their maturity and strong opinions (they like uniforms because it makes them feel equal to one another). Finally, I introduced myself to the 12th grade (Cuarto Medio) IB English class. They were excited to talk to me but also a little stressed because they have a big grammar test coming up next week!

I can’t believe I only have 3 months at this school! Time here goes by so quickly.

More adventures soon: Carrete en el campo este fin de semana, Pucón for Semana Santa, and 2 weeks from today ISLA DE PASCUA (Easter Island)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment