Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cascada de las Animas, San Alfonso, Cajón del Maipo


Yesterday we had yet another adventure outside of Santiago, perhaps my favorite thus far! After a spur of the moment decision, we headed out in the morning all the way to the Las Mercedes metro station, and from there we took a colectivo (1400 pesos each) to Cascada de las Animas! Cascada de las Animas (Waterfall of the Spirits) is owned by this family that I believe used to own the entire town of San Alfonso. They may not own the town now, but they sure do own a TON of land! This place has camping grounds, a hostel, and cabins. They offer hiking (well, they call it “trekking”), zip lining, rafting, horseback rides, and even more. Kind of a cool getaway, and turned out to be so nice for a day trip.

We decided to take the “La Meseta” trek, and they insisted we get a guide. So that’s when we met Martín. He looked like many of the adventurous rock climbers and hardcore hikers that I’ve met in my own hometown, and he acted so American (as in the US). In the end, I decided he must be a Californian with a Chilean accent. Actually though, he’s from Santiago, and moved to Cajón del Maipo because he hates cities.

Anyway, Martín proceeded to take us on the most difficult 3 hour hike of my life! He told us the first 45 minutes would be “a little uphill.” Really though, that was probably the steepest trail I have climbed in my life! Worn out and defeated, nearly wanting to turn back, I discovered that my struggles were completely worth it after an hour. We reached this beautiful little pool, where snow melt off from the mountains made a tiny waterfall run in to the perfect swimming spot. The water was FREEZING! I felt the shock of having gone from almost having a heat stroke to suddenly fearing that I would get hypothermia. I couldn’t breathe.

Luckily, my body quickly got used to the water, and I enjoyed the most refreshing experience that I have ever had. I thought I was going to die on that trail, and suddenly I was alive and well again! After our break, the trail was much more enjoyable, though I got a little scared on a steep downhill section I nearly slid down the entire way. On the plateau (there was a plateau, that is what la meseta means!), there was a farm and we walked around to see the goats, horses, sheep, and wild hogs. Why were there wild hogs? I really don’t know. Cascada de las Animas is also a wildlife rehabilitation center so they have lots of wild animals, including a puma, that I unfortunately did not see because it was too hot for him to be in the sunny part of his cage.

So after all the adventuring, we sat down in their restaurant and had a delicious meal. Or maybe it just tasted delicious because I was so tired. I figured 3 hour hike, no biggie, I do that all the time. 3 hours with the heat, dust, and steep trail was a bit different than I expected. Totally worth it and totally fun. Plus, I can officially say that I have trekked in the Andes Mountains!

P.S. Did I mention the part where we got lost for days and had to eat Martín to survive?


 The beginning-a rickety bridge over the river
 Rehabilitated(ing?) eagle
 Me in Martin's stylish hat
 That bridge I mentioned
 after the pool--meaning this does not nearly represent the steep parts of the trail
 horsie!
 beautiful views
 fresh, cold water!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, I am working on Tourism Guide for Cajon del Maipo, Chile and I use a bridge photo, may I use yours with your credits?
    thanks,

    Monserrat
    mminguell@vtr.net

    ReplyDelete