Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pomaire


After using several forms of transportation (metro, bus, and colectivo), I arrived in Pomaire yesterday, about 45 minutes out of Santiago. Pomaire is a small village where almost everyone makes their living off of pottery. It’s a little tourist trap that only covers one street, but it still had an air of authenticity around it that probably came from the fact that every restaurant served the traditional dishes of cazuela, empanadas, and pastel de choclo, and no one spoke English.

It was the perfect little place to do some souvenir shopping, and we bought some pottery for my mom. They also had some really cute earrings that I didn’t go for, but probably won’t be able to resist again if I return to Pomaire.

I felt like I was seeing a different side of Chile. There was absolutely no hint of urban here—just a dusty, cobbled road surrounded by the country side. It was absolutely beautiful. On the other hand, the street dogs seemed a bit skinnier here. In my experiences thus far, the state of the street dogs reflects how wealthy the area is.

I had so much fun getting out of Santiago for the day that I hope to do it again this week. Chile has some awesome scenery, and I love the city but can’t resist the beautiful countryside.
 
 Picture I took on the bus
 HUGE EMPANADA.
 Dad in front of a couple of the pottery shops

No comments:

Post a Comment