Monday, February 7, 2011

First Impressions


Well here I am, in Santiago de Chile. A city of over 6 million people and I get to be one of those millions for the next 5 and a half months. I stick out as if I have flashing letters blazed across my forehead: ESTADOUNIDENSE. I keep telling myself that eventually people won’t laugh at me and respond in English when I attempt to speak Spanish, but it’s going to be tough for a while.

So what do I have to say after 3 days in Santiago? It’s beautiful. And has delicious food. We are staying between Cerro Santa Lucía and Parque Forestral, in Barrio Lastarria, an absolutely gorgeous neighborhood with plenty of cafes, restaurants, and bars. Pedro de Valdivia stood on Cerro Santa Lucía in 1540 and decided to found Santiago. The historic hill is now a beautiful park with gardens, fountains, and amazing architecture that gives it a European feel. It must be the most romantic park in Santiago. If it’s not, then I don’t want to see what is publicly displayed in other parks. It isn’t just the teenagers kissing in the corner—even the older couples find a quiet bench and go for it.

Meanwhile, it’s Sunday and Parque Forestral is filled with families, ice cream cones, and street dogs looking for some shade and a bite to eat. We had the perfect idea to visit Emporio La Rosa, a café known for its ice cream, and take our helados across the street to the park. We sat on a bench soaking up the sun and happiness. It struck me just how refreshing it is to be in a country that has a day of rest. People give themselves the time to be happy and enjoy each other. Mamá and Papá are holding hands while the niños ride around on tricycles and chase after each other. People sit in the grass and watch the entertainers—they’re putting on little shows in Spanish and I can’t understand anything but it sure does look like fun.

And so, right now, I am thoroughly enjoying my job as an ignorant tourist. I’m learning more every day and maybe in a month I won’t mind starting school at the Universidad. Everything tastes fresher here, and everything feels new. I can’t wait for more.

Some pictures:

 Through the trees at Cerro Santa Lucia
 A street dog finds some shade
 A statue that caught my eye, Cerro Santa Lucia
 Police in the Plaza de Armas
The new and the old at Plaza de Armas

No comments:

Post a Comment