Sunday, May 29, 2011

Familia, Comida, SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE!

Yesterday Al, Naty, and I made some homey USA food for Cecilia, Ines & Ramon (Al's host parents), and Pancho (Naty's boyfriend). Al and Naty had a lot of fun the night before and as a consequence lunch got pushed back and a little stressful. Allison was running around the kitchen like a maniac while Naty danced up a storm to Adele, and somehow it all got done and was a huge success. Allison's mac&cheese tasted like home, Naty's peas & mushrooms managed to make the meal at least seem healthier, and we even had a Caesar Salad (which is, in fact, American. I looked it up!). I also made my personal Camp Broadstone favorite, Sour Cream Apple Pie. Cecilia loved it so much, that since we had an extra pie crust, she made me write out the recipe in Spanish and she gave it a try today to serve at onces! It was super rico, as always. It was nice to cook something for a change, and now that Ceec isn't terrified of me using her kitchen I think I'll cook more frequently. Next on the menu: American pancakes with real maple syrup (Cecilia has a bottle of it as a gift from a previous student).

Right now the whole family (well, minus Matias' family that lives in Peru) is over having a great time. Eugenio's daughters are brushing his hair (he doesn't seem very happy about it, but is being patient), Gabriela and I have been quizzing Cristobal for his anatomy test on bones and muscles in English (it's a little difficult to get him to say muscles without pronouncing the 'c'), and Cecilia is picking on her youngest son, Tomas, like always. It's nice to have them over here because it's a rarity and Cecilia is always so happy around her sons and grandchildren.

I have a cold, AGAIN. I also have more stress over school than I should. But overall, I can't help but be content. I have amazing friends here and a loving host mom. Everything here is perfect, and at the same time I'll be ready to get back to my other amazing friends and family in less than 2 months. All my experiences here have confirmed that I'm doing things right in my life. I love Spanish, I adore teaching high schoolers, and I pride myself on how open minded I have been to all these new encounters.

All I can say, really, is that I'm fooping. I'll have to explain that one later.

No comments:

Post a Comment