Monday, May 9, 2011

I don't have to work because of a few mice?

Well, I arrived to work today to find the school surrounded by police and news stations' vans. Turns out that the students and parents are protesting because some students claim to have seen mice in the school (not sure if it's true or not...) and now they are saying the school is "unclean." They're running around outside the school with whiskers painted on their faces. Technically classes are still going on but the school is practically empty, and the exasperated English teachers said I could go home and hopefully things will be back to normal on Wednesday.

When I got home and explained to Cecilia, she wasn't surprised. Protests like this are very common in Chilean schools. In Chile in general, I suppose. I think it's great that the kids are allowed to protest...but in this particular instance I think it's ridiculous and it's really a shame that they are depriving themselves of their education for a free day (well 2 so far, the protest started on Friday) to complain about some mice that may or may not exist. If only they could see the size of the rats at American, they would be picketing in the streets there too...

No comments:

Post a Comment