Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rapa Nui/Isla de Pascua/Easter Island


On Friday, after a 5 hour plane ride from Santiago, I arrived at one of the most remote islands in the world, Rapa Nui. I had read about the rich history and myths, and was excited to see the moai (bigheads-pictured below) and learn more about the theories of where the indigenous groups came from and how they made and transported the amazing works of stone. In this excitement, it didn’t strike me until we got there that I was on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!!!!! For lack of a better description, I felt like I was in LOST.

The island was peaceful and perfect. I had a lot of alone time and a lot of friend time, the perfect mix. On Saturday we went to the most beautiful beach and I was in so much awe I forgot to put sunscreen on my back! I don’t think I’ll bore you all in this blog about everything I enjoyed and learned on the island—so let’s just talk if you want to know more. For now, here are a few pictures:





No comments:

Post a Comment