Thursday, April 28, 2011

Comida de Chile (FOOD!)

You all know my feelings on food. I take a basic necessity and turn it in to an all out addiction. It may not always be healthy, but my openness to eat CONSTANTLY has provided me with awesome cultural experiences in Chile! This food obsession of mine means that this post is probably just part one in a series about food, food, food.

So for now I'll spare you from details of my host mom's homemade spaghetti sauce or the local bar's delicious burger and just tell you about some basic comida chilena.

1. Empanadas. Delicious, savory, stuffed pastries. The typical Chilean stuffing is called "pino" and consists of ground beef, onions, 1 hard boiled egg, and 1 olive (which I always pick out and give to a friend). Here's a picture of my half eaten favorite in Pomaire:

2. Completos/Italianos. Hot dogs. Doesn't sound too cultural, does it? The Chilean part is the excessive amount of condiments--palta, tomatoes, mayonnaise, ketchup, salt, etc etc. The best are gigantes (meaning 2 hots dogs long!) near my school, where you can find them for a mere 500 pesos (about a dollar).


I'll post more pictures as I take them (but it's so hard to pause for a picture when the food is right there!), but beyond my 2 favorite staples listed above, I have also tried humitas-some kind of corn mixture (very filling) that is good with sugar on top, cazuela- a traditional Chilean soup in which you may encounter an entire corn cob, chunk of meat, and whole potato, porotos- white bean soup, and charquican-I don't even know what is in it completely but I can say there are corn and potatoes and this dish of what appears to be mush is delicious!

Oh I almost forgot....Any kind of meat you want--A LO POBRE!
This happens to be congrio (king clip fish) a lo pobre. More common is lomo a lo pobre or pollo a lo pobre. As you can see, the meat is served on a bed of cooked onions, with fries, and a fried egg to top it all off. It's ridiculously disgusting, and ridiculously yummy. I like to break the yolk over it all and add some ketchup to the fries. Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment